Categories

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Arrow: Lone Gunmen Review


The main cast of Arrow (Left to right: Willa Holland as Thea Queen, David Ramsey as Diggle, Stephen Amell as Arrow, Collin Donnell as Tommy Merlyn, and Katie Cassidy as Laurel Lance)
Hey everyone! You're in the Line of Fire! As you all know, I'm Ryan "Howitzer" Howard and this is my review of Arrow episode 3: Lone Gunmen. Let me start by saying that I am a huge DC comics fan. Green Arrow is one of my absolute favorite comic characters and Arrow is quickly becoming one of my favorite shows on TV. Lone Gunmen did not disappoint. Michael Rowe (pictured below)
Michael Rowe as Floyd Lawton aka Deadshot
 did the role of Deadshot justice (although, I really wanted Floyd to have a mustache like he does in the comics). The only thing I'll say about Deadshot was that he was underdeveloped, he wasn't much like his comic book counterpart (wasn't suicidal, etc.) and he could have been a really awesome and interesting character if they would've gone more in depth with him (or at least kept him around although an arrow to the eye is an awesome way to go out). I for one wanted to know why he tattooed the names of his victims on himself (did anyone else pause the episode to look for famous DC names like I did?). Anyway, the freshness of the plot of this episode was amazing. While Ollie's crusade is classic Green Arrow, the plot of pick target, hunt target, kill target can get old after awhile. I also like the fact that Oliver is opening a nightclub to give himself a cover story (I guess it's a better story than Polo). We also get more backstory from the island. It turns out Ollie didn't just teach himself how to use a bow. The mercenaries looked pretty interesting as well. That might be setting up for Deathstroke's backstory (his mask was on the island). The development of Digg was good as well. Digg is quickly becoming the second of only two likable characters on the show. The ending with Digg was great too. The Thea stuff is coming along well. It looks like Oliver is trying his best to keep Thea from turning into him. I still hate Ollie's mom and step dad though. Then again, you're supposed to. I'm waiting for Tommy to turn into Merlyn the Dark Archer and I want Dinah (I refuse to call her Laurel) to turn into Black Canary (Canary probably won't show up till season 2 though). Felicity Smoak is a good addition to the cast as well. Emily Bett Rickards is a cutie and her character seems to be the flighty but lovable nerd girl. All in all, the show is great. Stephen Amell continues to show that he's more than just abs as Green Arrow. The writing backs up the cool ideas and story potential the show has (We don't have another The Cape on our hands). All in all, I'm still pretty optimistic about the show. I'm gonna give Lone Gunmen an 8/10. It would've been a 9 or even a 10 if Deadshot would have been more developed. Next week we don't seem to have a super villain in Arrow, but we're two episodes from Deathstroke! I can't wait. Anyways, expect a few comic reviews this weekend. Also be on the lookout for my review of the new Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes and Young Justice. Soon I'll get my Arkham City review done too. Until next time, this is Howitzer telling you to keep your head down because you're in the Line of Fire!    

No comments:

Post a Comment